NIH LGBT Pride Month 2012 Program
NIH Salutaris, the GLBT Employee Forum at NIH, would like to extend an invitation to our colleagues across the Federal Government to attend our LGBT Pride Month program next week. We would like to invite everyone to join us, as we discuss LGBT cultural competency of employees in the scientific and medical research workplace.
Subject: NIH Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month Program
When: Friday, June 29, 2012, 9:30 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
Where: Lipsett Amphitheater, Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center, Building 10
Theme: Out Of The Closet And Into The Lab: A Panel Discussion Focused On Workplace Issues For And About The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual And Transgender Research, Medical And Administrative Professional
Please join us for the National Institutes of Health, 2012 Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Pride Month Program. LGBT Pride Month is celebrated in June of each year commemorating the Stonewall Rebellion which is widely recognized as the defining event that marked the start of the Gay Rights movement in the United States and around the world. For the fourth consecutive year, President Barack Obama has proclaimed June as LGBT Pride Month and requested that we “rededicate ourselves to a task that is unending – the pursuit of a Nation where all are equal, and all have the full and unfettered opportunity to pursue happiness and live openly and freely.”
This event will include a frank discussion addressing the need for a culturally competent workforce and inclusive workplace at the NIH. Specifically, the program will address how an LGBT identified fellow, researcher or administrative professional should address their sexual orientation and/or gender identity at work. Additionally, managers and staff will learn new strategies they can use to ensure a healthy, inclusive, and safe workplace for all staff. The panel discussion will serve to educate the NIH community on aspects of the LGBT community, diversity, and inclusion.
The panel will be comprised of
- Dr. Mark Schuster, M.D., Ph.D., William Berenberg Professor of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, and Chief of General Pediatrics, and Vice Chair for Health Policy, Department of Medicine, Boston Children’s Hospital;
- Ida L. Castro, J.D., M.A., Vice-President, Community Engagement and Equity at the Commonwealth Medical College;
- Scout, Ph.D., Director, Network for LGBT Health Equity at the Fenway Institute;
- Judith Bradford, Ph.D., Director, Center for Population Research in LGBT Health, The Fenway Institute at Fenway Health; and
- Matthew P. Hoffman, B.D.S., Ph.D., Chief, Matrix and Morphogenesis Unit, Laboratory of Cell and Developmental Biology, NIDCR, NIH.
- The program will be moderated by Lawrence Tabak, D.D.S., Ph.D., Deputy Director of NIH.
The event will be videocast to the public.
Sign language interpreters will be provided. Individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations to participate in this event should contact Kay Johnson, Diversity and Inclusion Manager, at 301-402-3681, through the Federal Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339, or via email [email protected].